Sunday, September 26, 2010

Computer Addiction

           "Why did I sleep late every night?" asking myself. I know you are wondering like I do. The main reason for this problem would be using too much computer. Nowadays, computer contains all kind of entertainment for every age level. Most people are addicted to computer, which cause them a serious problem at home, at school and their physical symptoms, and these problems can be prevented by managing your time wisely.


           Computer addiction can cause a serious problem. "At home, a mother has difficulty getting her child to do chores when computer games occupy all after school" (Maressa Hecht Orzack, 2003). I agree with this statement because sometime it also happens to me. Whenever I play a game that I like, I will play it continually for about 4 to 5 hours, even though I have not finish my homework yet. Another serious problem is a physical symptoms. According to Maressa Hecht Orzach (2003), using too much computer can cause a dry eyes, migraine headaches, back aches, eating irregularities, and sleep disturbances. All these problems occur because of computer addiction.


           Most people are addicted to computer, and there are two main ways to prevent these serious problems from using too much computer. First of all, "consider why you are using the computer if your usage becomes excessive. Boredom, anxiety, and depression are common reasons to overuse the computer. Work through these emotions if this is true" (Leigh Wittman, 2009). This is important to me because most of the time when I'm back home, I will open my computer immediately without knowing that what will I use it for. Another solution is by placing a reasonable limits on the computer usage. According to Wittman (2009), we should decide what is a reasonable time based upon a daily schedule. In my case as a student, I should manage my time, like an hour on school days and two hours on weekends.


            I recommend to use a second solution to this problem, which is placing a reasonable limits on computer usage. This solution will help you control and manage your time. In the future, you would be get use of using computer like one hour a day, and you will try not to use it more than that. In the first solution, it might not be much accurate because you know why you are using computer, but you can't manage your time properly. Once you can't manage your time properly, you will get to overuse the computer. The only way you can solve this problem is to work hard on it.

1 comment:

  1. A good essay. Thesis statement is well written, support for the thesis to explain and expound on the problem and the solutions are very clearly laid out. You get 10!

    ReplyDelete